1 1/2 cups flour or 1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or cheese
3/4 cup shortening or butter, chilled
3 – 4 tablespoons ice water
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Pinch each of dried dill and parsley
1 pound poached salmon, shredded into bite-size pieces
1/2 cup sweet onion, leeks, or scallions, small dice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese (Gruyère, Parmesan, or favorite firm cheese)
1 teaspoon dill (fresh is best, but 1/2 teaspoon dried will also work)
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
Zest of one small lemon
Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup each of seasonal vegetables such as mushrooms, peas, asparagus or fresh corn
1) Preheat oven to 375F degrees (190C).
2) Combine flour and cheese. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time until it just starts to come together. Add herbs and work through dough; form a ball. *If making gluten-free, use 4 tablespoons of water. Press dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan or deep-sided tart pan. Gently pierce dough to help air release. Par-bake crust for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3) While pastry crust is cooling, sauté onion and garlic in butter until soft over a medium heat, about 7-9 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4) Beat sour cream and eggs together until well blended.
5) Stir salmon, onion and garlic, dill, parsley, lemon zest, salt and pepper, and 1 cup of shredded cheese into egg and sour cream mixture. Add in seasonal vegetables, if using.
6) Pour into cooled pastry crust and top with remaining cheese. Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes (or until set). Let cool in pan 5-10 minutes before removing. **For a browner top, broil for 2-3 minutes.
7) Slice into wedges and serve warm or room temperature.