1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless wild salmon, patted dry
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger or 1-inch piece, peeled and finely grated
1 garlic clove, grated
1 teaspoon cilantro stems, finely chopped
1 lime, zested – reserve lime for secret sauce ?
2 tablespoons mayo (veganaise or aioli work too) + 2/3 cup for secret sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon 7-spice mix (optional) for secret sauce
3-4 Persian cucumbers, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of red chili flakes
Handful of tasty fresh herbs, mixed preferably: cilantro, mint + parsley
Handful of microgreens or watercress
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
4 brioche buns, lightly toasted
1) Separate dark green scallion tops from the pale green and white parts. Thinly slice the with and pale green parts and set aside. Finely slice dark green parts; set aside. Zest lime, crush garlic and ginger, and chop cilantro stems; set aside.
2) Cut salmon in half; finely mince one half with knife. Keep chopping until salmon resembles a paste. Chop remaining salmon into pea-size pieces, transfer to a large bowl. Add dark green parts of scallions, lime zest, crushed garlic and ginger, and chopped cilantro stems. Mix with 2 tablespoons of mayo, 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, and salt + black pepper. Divide into four parts and gently pat into a burger patty. Place on a plate or lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
3) While salmon patties are chilling, toss sliced cucumbers with a pinch of salt in a small bowl and massage with your fingers for a minute. Set aside and let cucumbers soften and expel water for a few minutes; drain liquid. Add vinegar, sugar, and pinch of red chili flakes. Toss to coat and chill pickles until ready to assemble burgers.
4) Make secret sauce: Mix 2/3 cup mayo with 1 teaspoon lime juice and 7-spice seasoning *(If you don’t have 7-spice, add some finely minced cilantro and black pepper). Mix and set aside.
5) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly toast brioche buns, set aside. Remove salmon patties from freezer and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. (Don’t worry – the mayo will help seal and brown without extra oil ?).
6) Smear each side of brioche buns with secret sauce. Top burgers with pickled cucumbers, herbs, microgreens, jalapeños, and reserved sliced scallions.